Activity type

Planning

Showing the latest activities tagged under this category.

I have a job interview scheduled for tomorrow at a fast food restaurant, and I also have another interview lined up for early next week. Some friends who work at the restaurant mentioned that they often hire on the spot, which makes me a bit anxious. While I understand that this opportunity could be great, I actually prefer the other company I’m interviewing with next week. My main concern is whether it’s acceptable to not accept a job offer immediately if they extend one to me tomorrow. I want to keep my options open but also don’t want to risk losing the fast food job if I don’t get the other one. I appreciate any advice on how to navigate this situation!

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently got fired from my role at a tech startup where I worked as a software developer. I'm preparing for upcoming interviews and I'm unsure about how to address my termination. I've read that the common advice is to be honest but vague, but I feel more comfortable saying that I left voluntarily and providing a professional reason. I'm also concerned about what to say if potential employers ask if they can contact my previous job for a reference. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Job title: software developer

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I've been on the job hunt for over a year now, applying to countless positions but still haven't secured a full-time role. I've had a few interviews, and while I know my interview skills could improve, it feels like I'm getting a lot of rejections compared to the number of applications I've sent out. I've primarily focused on entry-level roles like receptionist and admin assistant, all while juggling part-time work in customer service. I'm starting to wonder if there are other entry-level positions I should be considering that I haven't thought of yet. The constant rejection is really taking a toll on me, and I'm eager to find something soon.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I'm currently navigating a challenging situation as I approach graduation, with multiple job offers on the table. Here's a breakdown of where I stand: I’ve signed a full-time co-op offer with Company A, but I have the option to delay my graduation to take it. However, my top choice is Company B, where the hiring manager has indicated that they’re preparing an offer. I've had discussions with HR about compensation and start dates, but I’m still waiting for the written offer. Additionally, Company C is looking to make a verbal offer this week and has asked me to schedule a call ASAP. Company D is also in the mix, with a good chance of making an offer this week. I’m feeling stressed about potentially backing out of Company A after signing the offer, especially since it’s a well-known company in my field. I want to avoid burning bridges, but I know that a full-time position is more beneficial for my career. I'm also unsure how to handle the situation with Company C while I wait for Company B's written offer. I don't want to reject Company C until I have something in writing from Company B, but I feel bad about delaying Company C, who is trying to fill the position quickly. I’m considering taking the call with Company C and asking for a few days to review the offer, as I’ve heard that employers generally expect candidates to take some time to consider their options. Any advice on how to manage these offers would be greatly appreciated!

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently experienced a frustrating situation while job hunting. I had two scheduled Zoom interviews with recruiters, and both times they didn't show up. This is the first time I've encountered this, and it's really disheartening. Not only is it challenging to secure interviews in the current job market, but to have them not show up feels like a complete waste of time. I've cleared my schedule and mentally prepared for these meetings, only to be left hanging. It's tempting to feel like it's a reflection of my qualifications, but I know that's not the case. I'm considering sending a polite follow-up email to see if I can reschedule, as some commenters suggested. I just hope this isn't a trend I have to deal with moving forward.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I applied for a position at Dunkin' and made it to the interview stage. I submitted my availability for the interview, but it's been 5 days without a response. I'm starting to wonder if I'm being ignored. I know there could be various reasons for the delay, like the hiring manager being on vacation or perhaps they found someone else. I think I might need to follow up with a call to get clarity on my application status.

Company: Dunkin'

Job title: N/A

Unresponsive Slow process
0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently graduated and have been working at my first full-time job as a software developer for about 10 months. My manager has been incredibly supportive, mentoring me as I took on more responsibilities than I initially expected. I've built around 15 internal business applications, automated several processes, and trained employees, becoming the go-to person for maintaining these systems. My company had been in the process of promoting me, with a new role approved but not finalized yet. However, I accepted another job offer that provided better compensation and seemed to offer broader enterprise experience. After I submitted my resignation, my current company acted quickly. They upgraded my title, transitioned my role from hourly to salaried, and increased my compensation by $30,000. The highest-ranking manager even advocated for me to the VPs, which made me feel valued. While the new company still offers a higher salary of $50,000 more, the daily responsibilities are less clear. I know my worth and the ownership I have at my current job, but I'm uncertain about my long-term career path and what I want to specialize in. I'm trying to make a decision that benefits my career in the next 5-10 years, not just for the immediate future. I'm seeking advice from anyone who has faced a similar situation. What would you do?

Job title: software developer

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I’ve been on the job hunt as an international student and have applied to about 50 positions so far. I’ve managed to land two final round interviews, which feels like a small victory given the circumstances. One opportunity is with a pharmaceutical company, which offers a great location and pay, but the catch is that it’s an overnight shift from 10 PM to 6:30 AM. The other option is a basic lab tech position that pays $20/hr, but the location is quite inconvenient with no public transportation options, and I don’t have a car. I’d need to find housing in a nearby city, which adds to the stress. The manufacturing monitoring job pays $25/hr and is in a big city, with both contract and direct roles available. I have only 85 days left to secure a job before I risk being forced to leave the country. I’m torn between sticking with these two options or continuing to search for something better. What would you do in my situation?

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I started my current job about six months ago, drawn in by the short commute and the promise of a better work-life balance. I had two offers on the table at the time, and the convenience of my current company's location played a huge role in my decision. However, shortly after I joined, they announced an office relocation that has completely changed my situation. The new office is now adding roughly 50 minutes to my commute each way, which totals around 1 hour and 40 minutes extra every day. This change has had a significant impact on my life. I find myself leaving home much earlier and returning much later, feeling completely drained by the time I get home. My quality of life has suffered, and I often feel exhausted and moody due to the long hours spent commuting. While the job itself is decent, I can't ignore how much the commute is affecting my overall well-being. Now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. It feels too soon to start job hunting again after just six months, and I'm worried about how that might look on my resume. However, I also know I can't sustain this long-term. I even asked for the possibility of working from home, but that request was denied. Has anyone else faced a similar situation? I'm looking for advice on whether I should start searching for a new job or stick it out a bit longer.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I'm feeling really lost right now and scared about the possibility of being unemployed. I don't have a clear direction for my career and it's weighing heavily on me. I know I need to take action, but I'm not sure where to start. It's a tough spot to be in, and I just hope I can find some clarity soon.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I had a job interview for a position at a small company, and it seemed to go well enough that they want me to come back for a second interview with the CEO. During the first interview, I was asked about my salary expectations. The job listing I found on KSL mentioned a pay range of $17-$18 per hour, so I told them I was looking for $18/hr. However, I realized afterward that I was actually hoping for something closer to $20/hr. Now, I've found the same job listed on Indeed with a pay range of $18-$22/hr, which makes me feel like I undersold myself. I'm really interested in this role and think I would enjoy it, but I'm regretting my initial salary expectation. I'm torn about whether I should bring this up in the next interview or wait to see what they offer me. If they do extend an offer, would it be inappropriate to mention that I've received higher offers and ask if they could match it? I'm feeling a bit lost on how to navigate this situation.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently resigned from my job on May 27th and have been unemployed for two weeks now. I received a job offer from a diesel company for a mechanic position, which I was excited about. However, while filling out the background check application, I mistakenly indicated that I was still employed at my previous job, which I realized right after submitting it. I immediately contacted my recruiter to inform her of the error. I'm feeling anxious about whether this mistake will jeopardize my chances of getting the new job. I hope I haven't messed things up too badly.

Company: diesel company

Job title: mechanic

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I was recently laid off from my job while I was in the midst of interviewing for a new position at another company. I had my first interview while I was still employed, and things seemed to be going well—I even completed an assignment that the hiring manager was pleased with. However, at the beginning of this month, I was let go and received a lump sum severance package. Now, my employment status is officially marked as 'no longer employed' on The Work Number. I haven't informed the hiring manager about my layoff yet, and I'm uncertain about the right time to disclose this information. If I receive a job offer, should I mention that I can start immediately, or should I wait until they conduct a background check to update them? I'm looking for some advice on how to navigate this situation.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I'm currently in a contract-to-hire position at a tech company as a software engineer. My manager recently mentioned that he wants to convert me to a full-time role about a month before my contract ends. He even provided me with a link to the application for the full-time position. However, I'm feeling a bit anxious because I haven't received an official offer letter yet. From what I've gathered, it seems like the process might involve applying first before getting an offer letter, but I'm unsure if this is the norm. I'm hoping to get some clarity on this process.

Job title: Software Engineer

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I finally got an offer after an exhausting 9 months of job searching! I submitted 237 applications and went through 6 interviews, but it paid off. I'm really grateful for this community for the support along the way. However, I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma. I've received an offer from one company, and I've sent in the paperwork for it, with training set to start in mid-August. But I'm also waiting to hear back from my dream job, which is a big company with a great reputation. They mentioned that they’re just waiting for someone to return to town, so I could be waiting another week or two for their decision. They've assured me that I'm a strong candidate, but I know that doesn’t guarantee an offer. My concern is whether I would face any penalties if I decide to refuse the offer I currently have, especially since it would be before training begins and they would have time to find someone else. I'm new to the Canadian job market, and I want to make sure I handle this correctly without any repercussions. For anyone else searching, I found both jobs on Indeed, although the postings were for different roles. The first position was bilingual, which I don't qualify for, but they considered me for another role that opened up. The dream job was initially for a field position, but they reached out for an office/phone role instead, which wasn't even posted. So, I guess my experience shows that sometimes applying broadly can lead to unexpected opportunities. I'm just hoping for the best outcome now!

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself in a tough spot after switching jobs. I left my previous position at Job A at the end of May for a new role that promised a better work/life balance and a great schedule. However, shortly after starting, I discovered that they were cutting hours, which forced me to look for something else. I ended up taking a temp-to-hire position about 40 minutes away, which was advertised as a Monday to Friday job with no weekends. But during orientation, they mentioned they hadn’t worked a weekend in ages, only to find out an hour later that the schedule actually required 60 hours a week, including weekends! Feeling frustrated, I received a call from Job A asking if I wanted to come back. It would mean working weekends, but only every other week, and I’d be back to a job that I know well and is just 10 minutes from home. Now I'm torn. My husband is upset with me for switching jobs so quickly, especially since he has a stable 40-hour salary job with a predictable schedule. I’m worried about how it looks to have three jobs in just two months. But honestly, with the way Job B misled me about the schedule, I feel justified in wanting to return to Job A. I’m just not sure if it will reflect poorly on me in the long run.

Company: Job A

Job title: N/A

Misleading listing
0 4

Loading comments…

Comments

I've been working for a regional chain store for three years now, and I used to really enjoy my job. The flexibility was great, and I could easily pick up extra hours whenever I wanted. However, things took a turn in February of this year when my hours started getting cut. At first, I didn't think much of it since we've had hour cuts before that usually resolved quickly. But this time, it just kept getting worse. By the time June rolled around, my hours had been reduced significantly, and I was often taken off the schedule for weeks at a time. I've been reassured that it's not personal and that I'm not the only one affected, but it still feels frustrating. I've noticed that the managers seem to be overwhelmed, likely due to the cuts being made at the corporate level. I even tried reaching out to corporate for clarification, but they closed my case without any response, which left me feeling even more confused. In the meantime, I've been trying to job search, but the market is incredibly tough right now, and I haven't had any luck. I'm starting to wonder if this is a normal situation or if there's something more going on behind the scenes. It feels like there's a lack of transparency, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently completed my final interview for a permanent role with the Managing Director at a company I really want to join. They mentioned they intended to proceed with my hire, but I haven't received an official offer letter or details about the compensation package yet. Just two days after that interview, I received another job offer that comes with a highly competitive salary, but it's a one-year renewable contract through a third-party payroll company. The catch is that I have a very short deadline to respond, and if I sign the contract but don't show up for work, I would owe them two months' salary. I'm considering reaching out to my preferred employer to check on the status of my application, but I'm unsure if I should mention the other offer to convey the urgency. I don't want to seem pushy, but I also want to ensure I don't miss out on the opportunity I prefer. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I’ve been searching for remote job opportunities for a while now, especially since I’m a student and need the flexibility to work from anywhere. Lately, I’ve come across several remote job postings that seem really sketchy. One of them even asked me to post curated comments from my account, offering $2 per comment and $15 if it stays up for more than three months. This raises a lot of red flags for me, as I’m worried it might lead to my account being suspended or blocked. I’m starting to wonder if I’m overthinking this or if others have had similar experiences with remote jobs advertised online. It seems like almost all jobs on social media could be scams, and I’m trying to navigate this job search without falling for any traps.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself in a tough situation regarding my job search. Earlier this year, I signed a contract for what I thought was my dream job and promptly gave my notice at my previous position. However, just two days before I was set to start my new role, the new employer called to inform me that they had to put my training on indefinite hold. This was due to some of my references not getting back to them in time, which I found surprising since I had trusted these referees for a long time. The new employer reassured me that I was still hired and that I could join the next training intake once they had enough candidates. However, it's now July, and I still don't have a start date. This situation has left me in a difficult position since I quit my previous job and have been looking for work since then, but the job market has been quite dry. I've been relying on my savings to get by, which is becoming increasingly challenging. I’m not expecting much from the new company at this point, but I can’t help but wonder how this all happened, especially since they never formally withdrew my job offer. It's a reputable company, and I’m just trying to make sense of it all.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments