Activity type

Thinking

Showing the latest activities tagged under this category.

I'm currently in the job search phase as I'm preparing to move to a new town next month. I've been actively applying for various positions, particularly in operations management or project management, with a focus on the food and beverage industry where I have significant experience. Unfortunately, I've faced a string of rejections despite tailoring my applications to each role. I'm reaching out for any tips or feedback on my approach, as I'm eager to improve my chances of landing a job. I appreciate any advice you can offer!

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently experienced a layoff from my position at a tech company, and I've been trying to navigate the job market. Networking has never been my strong suit, but I decided to create a LinkedIn profile to reconnect with former colleagues and expand my network. It feels a bit awkward reaching out to people now that I'm in need of assistance. I've noticed that LinkedIn limits me to only three notes per month unless I upgrade to Premium. I'm contemplating whether Premium is worth the investment. So far, I've sent out a few connection requests; some people have responded positively, while others haven't replied at all. I'm particularly unsure about how to approach someone I used to work under who is now in an executive position. After exchanging pleasantries, should I directly ask if they have any job opportunities available? I want to be respectful and not come off as too forward, but I also need to be clear about my intentions. I've read mixed opinions on the effectiveness of networking and whether Premium membership is beneficial. Some people suggest that having connections is important, while others believe that simply applying to jobs directly can yield better results. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy to secure my next role.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I just got laid off on Friday after six years at my company due to a merger that dissolved my position. The timing is less than ideal because I have to move soon, which adds to the stress. Yesterday, I spent the day on the couch feeling like a blob, but today I decided to make a to-do list to help me get back on track, even though I'm still on the couch. I had been applying for jobs for the last few months, anticipating this layoff, so I feel somewhat prepared. I'm grateful for the severance package and for the real human connections I've made; many of my colleagues reached out to check on me. I know I did a good job and was a good manager, which gives me some comfort. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the situation, as it's strange how much a job can become part of your identity. Sending out optimism to anyone else who might be in a similar situation!

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I've been working in NYC for the past two years and I'm currently looking for a new day job since one of my jobs is seasonal and might be fully recessed for the first quarter of 2027. I'm ready for a change and I'm applying for various positions. I'm curious about which jobs or industries are known for hiring at the beginning of the calendar year. I hold a communications degree and have experience in both administrative office roles and the service industry. I'm flexible and adaptable, so I'm open to part-time or full-time opportunities. I would love to hear any success stories or advice from others who have navigated this slow hiring period.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself in a tough position after only two weeks in a new executive role at a leading company in our industry. After my previous company dissolved our division, I had a three-month window to secure a new job. I accepted an offer from this new company, even though it was a step down in title and a slight pay cut, as they created the role specifically for me. However, the job quickly turned into a 24/7 hustle culture, with 13-14 hour days that left me feeling overwhelmed and conflicted about my work-life balance, especially with a young child at home. After discussing my situation with my former boss, who is thriving in her new role, I decided to accept another offer from a smaller company that matched my current salary and bonus. This was a difficult decision, especially since my current company had built the function around me and the team was excited about my contributions. I am now faced with the challenge of giving my two weeks' notice, knowing that my departure may upset my current employer and potentially burn bridges in the industry. I plan to approach them with vague reasoning, stating that an unexpected opportunity came up that I felt I needed to pursue. However, I am feeling stressed about how to handle this situation professionally while considering the impact on my career and reputation in our close-knit industry.

Job title: executive role

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I’m feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety as I prepare to start my new job tomorrow. It's been a long stretch of unemployment for me, about two months, and I’m only 24 years old. My previous work experience has mostly been as a security guard, despite having a title related to network operations (NOC). I’ve never held a job for more than a year and a half, so this is a big step for me. The good news is that my new job is just a 5-minute walk from my home, which should make the transition a bit easier. However, I’m nervous about how I’ll adapt to the structure of a regular job again after having the freedom of being unemployed. I really want this opportunity to work out, but I can’t shake the feeling that I might be overwhelmed. I know I’m probably overthinking it, but the shift from unemployment to a job feels significant. I’ve read some great advice from others who have been in similar situations, and I plan to take it to heart. I’m hoping this fresh start will lead to a more stable career path.

0 6

Loading comments…

Comments

I suspect layoffs are coming at my company, and I'm feeling anxious about my future here. My manager canceled our last one-on-one about a month ago and hasn't scheduled another, which feels like a red flag. I've also noticed a significant decrease in the amount of work on my plate lately. I'm wondering if I could potentially delay my layoff by making it seem like I'm actively looking for another job. Would management consider holding off on layoffs if they thought I might quit soon, especially since it could save them a hefty severance payment of six months? How long could I realistically keep this up before they make a decision? I've seen some comments suggesting that companies generally don't take individual circumstances into account when it comes to layoffs, and that they have their own strategies to handle these situations. It's a tough spot to be in, and I just want to navigate this uncertainty as best as I can.

0 6

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I want to share my experience after being laid off from my position. I know firsthand the feelings of uncertainty, frustration, and discouragement that come with job searching. It's been a tough journey, and I understand how hard it can be to stay hopeful when it feels like every door is closing. However, I firmly believe that our skills and worth have not vanished just because we lost our jobs. We are not obsolete; we still have so much to offer. I want to remind everyone that we are not alone in this. I'm walking this path with you, and I choose to hold on to hope. Let's keep encouraging one another because we never know which opportunity or act of kindness might lead to a brighter tomorrow. Our stories are far from over.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently interviewed for a position and felt like I did okay, not great but decent enough. However, I woke up today to find that the same job has been reposted on LinkedIn and the company's website. This has left me feeling anxious about my chances of getting the role. The interview was on Thursday, and the interviewer mentioned I would hear back by the end of next week. Now, seeing the job reposted makes me wonder if I really fumbled the interview. I've received mixed feedback from others, with some saying it's not a good sign while others suggest it could be a standard practice for the company to refresh their listings. I'm trying to stay hopeful but it's hard not to feel discouraged.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently applied for a non-technical role at HackerEarth and received an automated test invitation via their platform. I'm uncertain if this test is a general screening for all applicants or if it's specifically for my role. I'm looking for insights from anyone who has applied for non-tech positions at HackerEarth or similar tech companies. Any clarification on their hiring process would be greatly appreciated!

Company: HackerEarth

Job title: N/A

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received a job offer for a drilling position with APICO in Khorat, Thailand. The compensation looks attractive, and I’m excited about the prospect of working abroad. However, I have some reservations as things seem a bit off. I've exchanged emails and even printed out contracts, but I haven't shared any personal information yet. They’ve mentioned topics like passports and insurance, which raises some red flags for me. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has experience with this company or the drilling sector in Thailand to help me make an informed decision.

Company: APICO

Job title: drilling position

Scam Unreliable Misleading listing Hired
0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently accepted a job offer with a new employer, set to start on October 26. I had planned everything out, thinking the background verification would be completed quickly, allowing me to resign from my current job and finish my notice period before starting the new role. However, the background check took longer than anticipated. On October 14, I submitted my resignation after receiving a verbal go-ahead from the recruiter regarding the background check. Unfortunately, I didn't clarify that I would be resigning right after our conversation. Now, my current employer has confirmed that my last working day will be October 30, which conflicts with my new employer's expectation for me to start on October 26, four days before I finish at my current job. I’m considering asking my new employer to postpone my start date to November 2, but I’m worried about how this might be perceived. I’ve already accepted the offer and started the onboarding process, but I haven’t yet discussed the potential delay with the recruiter. I’m committed to joining and not reconsidering the offer, but I realize I should have confirmed the timing before resigning. I’m reaching out to HR professionals and hiring managers for advice on how to approach this situation. Specifically, I’d like to know how they would handle a request to postpone a start date by a week, if this could raise concerns about my reliability or commitment, and if it’s realistic to worry about the offer being withdrawn over this adjustment. Additionally, should I explain the background check delay or simply state that my last day at my current job is October 30?

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I have faced two layoffs in less than five years while working in the higher education sector. The first layoff occurred in 2022 at a for-profit university, which was attributed to the impacts of COVID-19. Most recently, I was laid off from a public state university just three weeks ago. These experiences have prompted me to rethink my career trajectory and consider opportunities outside of higher education. Although I am a certified teacher, I have no desire to return to full-time teaching. After trying my hand at substitute teaching for the past few weeks, I realized it’s not the right long-term fit for me. I'm now actively seeking a career pivot and have an interview lined up for a non-profit role on Monday, fingers crossed!

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I reached out to the recruiter to check on the status of my interview, hoping for some good news. Unfortunately, I received an automated rejection letter yesterday. I'm feeling really down about it and frustrated with the whole job search process right now.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently faced a tough decision regarding my job situation. After working for a large healthcare organization for 2 and a half years on a contract that was set to expire in March 2027, I found myself without any benefits, vacation, or sick days—just my hourly wage plus a small vacation pay. I loved my role, but the lack of job security and the way the position was funded led me to seek other opportunities as I was starting to feel burnt out. I applied for several positions in my community and eventually secured a short 5-month contract with my municipality. This role offers health benefits after three months, which was a significant factor for me. Even if I only stay for the contract duration, I would still receive two months of benefits. I went through a lengthy interviewing and onboarding process for this position. Just as I started at the municipality, I received a job offer from a community legal aid provider. This position is a multi-year contract, offers paid time off, but lacks benefits. The legal aid job is very close to my dream job, while the municipality role is something I have experience in and can perform well. However, I have mobility limitations that make walking and standing for long periods painful. The municipality job requires a lot of physical activity, whereas the legal aid position would mostly be in an office setting. The pay for both jobs is similar, so that isn't a deciding factor. Additionally, there’s a possibility of going back to the healthcare organization in March on another contract, which complicates my decision further. My husband believes I should leave the municipality for the legal aid job, but I'm hesitant to burn any bridges professionally. The potential for a permanent position at the municipality is appealing. Now, I have to quickly decide whether to stay at the municipality until March, enjoying the benefits but with no job guarantees after that, or to leave for the legal aid provider, which offers job security for several years but no benefits. I would appreciate any neutral advice or input on this dilemma!

Company: municipality

Job title: N/A

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I quit my software developer job of three years about five months ago because I was feeling burnt out. I thought taking a break would help me recharge, but instead, I’ve been dealing with family issues and the stress of being unemployed has made me feel worthless. I really enjoyed my time at my previous job, which was fully remote and at a top 100 company, and now I’m regretting my decision to leave. With the job market being affected by AI, I’m worried that finding a similar role will be nearly impossible. I feel like I need to start job hunting soon since I don’t want to have a long gap on my resume, but I just don’t have the motivation to do so. It’s frustrating to think I left my job for nothing, especially since I thought I would be able to take this time to recover. Financially, I’m okay, but I’m really concerned about my career moving forward.

0 4

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself in a tricky situation regarding unemployment benefits. I had accepted a job offer (let's call it Job A) but soon realized it was unsuitable for me. Luckily, I received another job offer (Job B) that I was excited about, but it wouldn't start for another week. I was wondering if I could back out of Job A and still claim unemployment for that week before Job B started. After seeking advice, it seems that backing out might not be the best idea. Many suggested that doing so could trigger a review by the unemployment agency, which could lead to my benefits being denied. The consensus was to tough it out at Job A until Job B begins, or just take the week off without pay if I hadn't officially started at Job A yet. It’s a frustrating situation, but I want to make sure I navigate it correctly.

0 6

Loading comments…

Comments

I just found out today that my hours at the bakery where I work have been significantly reduced due to financial issues. Starting Monday, I’ll only be working two days a week instead of the five days I was previously scheduled for. I’m considering applying for partial unemployment but I'm unsure about the timing. Should I wait until I receive my first paycheck reflecting the reduced hours, or can I apply now? I'm also curious about what information the EDD will require from me to process my claim. Is it just my word about the hours being cut, or do they need to see my pay stubs? This is my first time dealing with unemployment benefits, so I’m feeling a bit lost.

Company: bakery

Job title: N/A

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

This week, I experienced a layoff that I both anticipated and didn't see coming. Over the past few months, our unit had gone through some significant leadership changes, and I had a sense that things were unstable. However, during a recent team meeting, my manager assured us that our team would not be affected, which made me let my guard down. I thought I had some time, maybe until the end of the year, to figure things out. But then, during my usual 1-on-1 this Thursday, I logged in to find my manager and another person waiting for me. It was a shock. I still don't know if my entire team was let go or if it was just me; my manager seemed unaware as well. I had been in my role for less than two years, having started in May. I genuinely enjoyed my job, and for the first time in a while, my mental health felt stable. Looking back, I realize I had been aware that this position might not be my long-term career. There was a clear ceiling, my role was limited in scope, and I wasn't involved in the major projects of my team. I was comfortable, and I had planned to move on in a few years if I didn't receive a meaningful raise. I never expected it would happen so soon and that I would lose control over the situation. On the bright side, I have two years' worth of savings plus a decent severance package, so I should be financially secure for a while. However, the thought of job hunting again fills me with dread. Since starting this job, I've often woken up in the middle of the night, panicking at the idea of going through the interview and onboarding process again. Right now, I feel sick and hopeless about what comes next.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently had a conversation with a recruiter about a position I'm interested in, and I shared my salary expectations. The job posting mentioned a pay range of $45–$50/hour, so when asked, I said I was open to that range, considering the commission and bonus structure. However, I'm now feeling uncertain about whether I hurt my chances of negotiating a better salary. The position actually has a higher hourly rate but offers lower commission than what I’m used to. I believe I’m very qualified for the role, but I’m second-guessing myself. I wonder if I should have specified a narrower range, like $48–$50, instead. If HR comes back with an offer of $45/hour, I’m not sure how I can negotiate closer to $50 after indicating I was open to that initial range. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and managed to negotiate successfully?

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments