Personal timeline

beskesky's journey

Milestones, reflections, and progress updates connected as your layoff-to-next-step story unfolds.

  1. 2

    I recently accepted a counter offer from my current employer, and now I'm regretting that decision. I made the classic mistake of job hugging, acting out of fear rather than considering my long-term happiness. The counter offer didn’t even match the pay or title I was offered elsewhere, but I was swayed by the company's reputation and the relationships I had built internally. Now, I’m realizing that the reasons I wanted to leave in the first place haven’t changed. I'm still dealing with an incompetent line manager and a narcissistic boss, and it's been incredibly frustrating. I've come to terms with the fact that I need to exit this situation within the next six months. The regret and resentment I feel over my decision have been overwhelming, to the point where I've started going to therapy to help me forgive myself. I know accepting the counter offer was a mistake, especially since the company had not been treating me well before I resigned. I'm reaching out to see if anyone has been in a similar situation. How did you handle resigning shortly after accepting a counter offer? What strategies did you use to navigate the emotional turmoil and resentment while planning your exit? I’m not looking for reminders of what I should have done differently; I just want advice from those who have successfully moved on from a similar experience.

    0 4

    Loading comments…

    Comments

  2. 1

    I recently resigned from a toxic role where I felt my career progression had stalled. I wasn't actively looking for a new job, but after an external hire was brought in above me to oversee my work, I decided it was time to move on. I accepted a new position that offered a 40% pay increase and a better title. After I submitted my resignation, my manager reached out within 30 minutes, asking if I would reconsider. Less than a day later, a VP-level HR leader, who had previously been hard to reach, scheduled a one-on-one meeting with me. While no counteroffer has been made yet, I sense that one might be coming. I'm torn about whether to consider a counteroffer from a company that only acted once I decided to leave. I’ve heard mixed opinions on this, with some advising against it entirely. Given the circumstances, I'm leaning toward sticking with the new opportunity, but I'm curious if anyone else has faced a similar situation and what their decision was.

    0 4

    Loading comments…

    Comments