Activity type

Planning

Showing the latest activities tagged under this category.

I just decided to back out of a job I was supposed to start today. I had everything lined up: salary, location, and all the details were agreed upon. But as I lay in bed on what was supposed to be my first day, I realized that this job just isn’t for me. The timing feels off, especially since I have to be there until noon, and the location doesn’t seem safe, particularly with the festive season approaching. It feels like a high-risk, low-reward situation, and despite my initial excitement after researching the role, I can’t bring myself to go in.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently gave my two weeks' notice at my job as a school psychologist for a contracting firm that works with a local school. I was hired last year under less than ideal circumstances, stepping in last minute after another psychologist left. I started without a license and have been paid a student's salary since then, with no benefits, no paid vacation, and no sick days. My pay structure is based on the days I work, which means I have to work some weekends and afternoons at home without compensation. This year, I finally got my license and asked for a raise to match the going rate for psychologists in my area, but the CEO said they needed time to consider it and that I likely wouldn't get close to what I asked for. I realized I was accumulating debt just to cover fuel costs to get to work, and after calculating my expenses, I determined that I needed to leave. I submitted my notice and informed the school, which prompted a call from the CEO. They hung up on me after one ring, but the secretary called shortly after, instructing me to come to the office. I'm feeling scared and stressed about the upcoming meeting, but I know I can't accept anything less than what I asked for. Honestly, I'm better off without this job at this point.

Job title: school psychologist

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

This week, I made a rash decision to leave my remote job at a SaaS company due to ongoing payment delays for an invoice I submitted three months ago. Although I had sent subsequent invoices that were paid on time, the delay on this particular one really stressed me out. The company has been transitioning from a pure product focus to a hybrid model of agency and product, which contributed to my sleepless nights. When the payment issue reached a boiling point, I decided to rage quit. They didn’t offer me a raise, but they did suggest some time off, acknowledging my burnout. However, I felt that I needed a more significant change. When I communicated my decision to leave, they only gave me a brief notice period of 10 days. I’m now aware that the job market is tough, but I felt it was time for a fresh start. I’m curious to know if anyone else has experienced something similar and managed to recover or find a new job afterward.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently applied to over 30 jobs and finally landed two interviews. The first interview was with a company I'll refer to as T. It was just okay; I didn't feel I performed my best, but it wasn't a disaster either. The main draw for me is that T is only a 15-minute walk from my home, which is very convenient. The second interview was with a company I'll call P, an Indian fintech firm that operates in a highly regulated space. I felt much more confident during this interview, and they have already indicated that they want to move me to the next round. However, the downside is that P is located about 30 kilometers from my home and requires a five-day work-from-office setup. I've completed one round of interviews with both companies, and P also has an additional assessment. I've also applied to several other companies that I consider dream opportunities, but I haven't heard back from any of them yet. I'm at a crossroads and would love to hear your thoughts on what I should do next.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently learned that my contract as a Software Developer in the Netherlands won't be renewed. I've been here for about a year and have 2.5 years of experience in the field. During a meeting, my manager expressed that I hadn't met their expectations, citing my slow project completion and my tendency to ask too many questions. This news hit me hard, especially given the current job market, which seems to favor candidates who speak Dutch. I'm actively learning the language and have even obtained my A1 diploma, but I know I still have a long way to go. My contract is set to end in December, but the company has offered me a 2-month extension under certain conditions. They also mentioned providing 3 months of outplacement support valued at over 2000€, but there's a clause that concerns me. It states that if I don't remain actively engaged in my duties during the extension period, I may have to reimburse the company for the outplacement support costs. I feel this clause is unfair, especially if I find another job before the extension ends. I appreciate the extra time to search for a new role, but I don't want to be penalized financially if I decide to leave early. I'm considering proposing a 2-week notice period instead of the current 1-month requirement, with no penalties if I secure a new position. I'm unsure if this is a reasonable request or if I'm asking for too much. I'm also worried about how rejecting the extension might impact my unemployment benefits. I'm reaching out for advice on whether I should negotiate these conditions, accept the extension as it is, or explore other options. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Job title: Software Developer

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I was laid off in August and since then, I've submitted 38 applications for back-end office roles at the Director+ level in NYC. So far, I've only managed to secure 3 interviews, but unfortunately, none of them led to offers. I'm starting to feel like I'm up against a lot of competition from candidates using AI to tailor their applications, or maybe I'm just making excuses for my lack of success. In the meantime, I'm taking certifications and trying to learn more about AI to improve my chances. My biggest concern is that November and December are typically slow months for hiring, which adds to my anxiety. I recently saw a post from someone who was laid off just two weeks ago and has already sent out 6 applications without receiving any responses, which makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not alone in this struggle.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I’m 23 years old and have been unemployed for the past 8 months. I worked in landscaping for a year and a half but got fired because I faced bullying from my coworkers and the boss, which really hurt my confidence. Now, I’m feeling lost about my future. I’ve been contemplating becoming a chaplain because I have a strong connection to Jesus and have had some mystical experiences during prayer, but I’m not fond of church dogma and I know it requires a lot of study, which I find challenging since I tend to procrastinate. I’m also not interested in returning to landscaping as the work environment was toxic, with everyone around me smoking and not taking their jobs seriously. Social anxiety has been a significant hurdle for me, making it difficult to engage in conversations and connect with others. It feels like a heavy burden that I’ve carried for years. I see friends my age starting families and businesses, which adds to my feelings of inadequacy. I’m really unsure about my next steps and would appreciate any advice on how to navigate this situation.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I'm currently in a tough spot as an international student on OPT, working as an intern at my company. I've been here for three months and I'm eligible for STEM OPT, which gives me some options moving forward. I have two potential scenarios that I'm weighing. In the first scenario, I might receive an internal referral for a full-time role at my company while also having the chance for my internship to convert to a full-time position. If that happens, I would likely prefer to stay with my current team since it aligns better with my studies and I genuinely enjoy the work. However, I'm concerned about how to gracefully decline the internal referral if I choose to stay with my team, especially since my mentor is involved in that process. I want to maintain goodwill and not jeopardize our relationship. In the second scenario, if I get the internal offer but my internship is only extended and not converted, I face a dilemma. Extended interns aren't eligible for H-1B sponsorship, which could mean missing out on this year's lottery. The referred role might offer sponsorship, but it’s not closely aligned with my career goals. So, I’m stuck between the need for visa sponsorship and pursuing work that I am passionate about. I have a few questions I’m hoping to get advice on: 1. Is it appropriate to discuss the referred role while waiting for my current team's decision? Should I inform my mentor or hiring manager about this potential offer? 2. If you were in my shoes with the second scenario, which option would you choose? Does having STEM OPT give me an advantage in this situation? 3. Has anyone successfully leveraged an internal offer to encourage their manager to convert their internship or provide sponsorship? How did you approach that conversation? 4. If I decide to take the sponsored role, how realistic is it to transfer back to a team like my current one after a year or two? No decisions have been made yet, but I want to make the best choice given my limited time in the U.S. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Job title: intern

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently started a new role as a technician in the aviation industry, but I'm feeling increasingly uneasy about my situation. I've been in this position for less than 90 days and have around 19 years of experience, yet my current pay is significantly below the market standard, especially considering the cost of living and the nature of the job. My employer is not well-regarded in the aviation cargo sector, which adds to my concerns. Over the past month, I've noticed some troubling signs. The tasks I'm assigned are very basic and don't align with my expertise, and I often find myself sitting idle while newer employees are given more complex responsibilities. There was even an incident where I believe I was set up to fail on a task, which resulted in me receiving a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP). This was frustrating because I had to report an error that wasn't my fault, stemming from my unfamiliarity with company policies and my lead's failure to check my training records. Additionally, I feel quite isolated from my coworkers. While I'm naturally introverted and don't seek social interactions, I maintain professionalism in my work relationships. Despite this, I seem to be receiving the cold shoulder from everyone, which makes me wonder if I'm being quietly pushed out. Given these circumstances, I'm feeling stressed about my situation, especially with the mediocre pay and the overall work environment. I'm seeking advice on how to navigate this and whether I should consider looking for other opportunities.

Job title: technician

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I'm currently feeling stuck in my job as a marketing associate at a mid-sized tech company. I've been unhappy for a while now, mainly due to being underpaid and having a difficult relationship with my boss. I've started interviewing for new positions, but I've hit a snag at the reference check stage. Potential employers want to contact my current employer for a reference, but I know my boss will not give me a positive review. He’s not the type to fire me, but I can sense he won't support my move to another company either. I'm looking for advice on how to navigate this situation without jeopardizing my chances of landing a new job.

Job title: marketing associate

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I was let go from my job just 5 months after starting, and it was my first experience with a layoff. Last month, I learned that the company was being bought out, but they assured us that there was no need to worry about job security. However, when I returned from a pre-approved vacation, I found an email stating that I “wasn’t selected” to continue with the new company, effective immediately. It was shocking, especially since the email came from someone I barely knew, and my direct supervisor was unaware of my termination until I handed in my things. They claimed it wasn’t based on my performance, but it’s hard not to take it personally since it’s my first time losing a job. I had already started applying for new positions, anticipating the company’s decline, but now I feel overwhelmed and doubt my qualifications for roles that pay as well as my previous job. I’m feeling lost and would appreciate any advice or encouragement.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I've been struggling to find a job ever since I graduated with my university degree. I'm currently in the EU and even though I'm pursuing a master's to get my medical license, it requires several additional courses that will take years to complete. I've had a few interviews, but none have led to an actual job offer. I'm feeling really frustrated and exhausted by this job search process. Recently, I've even considered the idea of going to fight in Ukraine, thinking that at least I would have some form of employment and a salary there. It's a tough situation, and I'm genuinely tired of the uncertainty.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I was working as a project manager at a financial institution on a 6-month contract that was supposed to end in early January. Today, I received the unfortunate news that my contract is being terminated earlier than expected, this month, due to budget constraints. I'm feeling quite down about it, as I had plans and dreams for the remaining two months of my contract. Now, I only have two weeks left to wrap things up.

Job title: Project Manager

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I'm currently struggling to find a job that pays a livable wage. I'm 29 years old and have a background in artistic skills, particularly in murals and social media management. Unfortunately, I don't have a degree due to health issues, which has made my job search even more challenging. Despite my efforts to supplement my income by taking on bartending gigs, I still find it hard to make enough money to move out and become financially independent. I'm feeling quite lost and unsure about what steps to take next in my career.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently had a panel interview for a position that I'm really excited about, but it has me feeling quite nervous. The panel included HR, the hiring manager, and the CEO of the company, and they went through my entire work history dating back to high school. I was particularly anxious about how to address a significant event from my past: I was fired from a bar job 16 years ago for drinking on the job. Since then, I've turned my life around and have been sober for over 8.5 years. I've built a successful career in aesthetics, spending more than six and a half years with my current employer and taking on leadership roles. However, I'm worried that my past might overshadow my accomplishments. If they ask about why I left that bar job, I want to be honest without oversharing. I'm seeking advice from anyone who has experience with panel interviews like this, especially regarding how to handle questions about past employment and being fired.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I received an unexpected calendar invite from my manager today, and it turned out to be a meeting with HR. They informed me that my role is being eliminated, and I have until December 31st to transition out. They mentioned that I can apply for other positions within the company during this time, and they will provide support in my job search. However, the severance package they offered is quite low, which leaves me feeling uncertain about my options moving forward. I'm considering updating my resume and starting to network aggressively, as I know the holiday season isn't the best time for job hunting. I'm also contemplating whether to accept any internal roles, even if it means taking a pay cut, just to ensure I have some income and benefits. It feels overwhelming, but I know I need to act quickly.

0 5

Loading comments…

Comments

I was part of a significant layoff in 2023 from my full-time job, and since then, I've been freelancing, which wasn't my first choice. My goal is to secure another full-time position. I've been getting hired during busy seasons, and my clients often compliment my work and express appreciation for my contributions. However, when full-time roles open up at these companies, I never seem to be selected. I've also noticed that some of my previous employers have active listings for my old position, but when I apply, I either hear nothing back or receive rejections. It's incredibly frustrating. I wish I could understand what I'm doing wrong. Why do they praise my work but then choose not to rehire me? I feel like I deserve some feedback on where I might be lacking, but it seems like companies are unwilling to provide that information, possibly due to legal concerns. It's disheartening to think that my past experiences might be holding me back, and I just want to know how to improve my chances.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently completed two rounds of interviews for an engineering role at a tech company, and today I learned that I am one of the final two candidates. HR informed me that they are drafting a second job description to send to me tomorrow for discussion. They mentioned that there will be no further interviews, which has left me curious about what this could mean. I’m wondering if they might be considering hiring both of us for different roles or if they are looking to adjust the responsibilities of the original position. I’ve seen some comments suggesting that this could be a negotiation phase, but I’m unsure how to respond. Should I express a preference for one role over the other, or should I keep my options open? I’m eager to see the new job description and understand their intentions better.

Job title: engineering role

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I just found out that my contract at my current company won't be renewed. However, they've offered me a 2-month extension under certain conditions. I'm feeling a bit uncertain about whether to accept it or not, and I'm looking for advice on how to approach this situation. Should I negotiate the terms of the extension, or is it better to start looking for new opportunities right away? Any insights from those who have been in a similar position would be greatly appreciated.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I’ve been working at my current job for 4 years, but since the holiday season ended, my hours have dropped to just 4 hours a week. Meanwhile, seasonal employees are getting more hours than I am. To make ends meet, I had to pick up another job on the weekends. Now, my boss is insisting that I need to make myself available on weekends as well for the upcoming season, which I can’t do because I have set days for my other job. I’ve maintained this availability for over 6 months, and it feels unreasonable for them to expect me to suddenly work weekdays, weekends, mornings, and nights. It’s frustrating because they barely scheduled me before, and now they’re threatening to let me go if I can’t comply. I understand the company has needs, but it seems unfair to change the rules on me after such a long time, especially when there are plenty of coworkers and new seasonal hires who could cover those shifts.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments