Activities

Log your activity

Choose how you want to log this activity.

I just landed a new job at a tech company starting this Wednesday, but I’m in a bit of a dilemma. I’ve been job hunting for a while and finally received multiple offers after working as the sole marketing person at a small restaurant group for the past two years. The tech job has good pay and gets me into the industry, but it requires a long commute and I’m not entirely comfortable with the office vibe. The twist is that my dream job at a local media company has been progressing through their interview process. I completed a take-home assignment and had an onsite interview last week, which went surprisingly well. The hiring manager even kept me an extra 30 minutes and introduced me to the team, so I felt hopeful. However, instead of a final decision, I received an email saying the CEO wants to conduct one more interview. This is supposed to be the final round, and the hiring manager offered to help me prep, which feels promising. The catch is that I’m traveling until Monday night, and I’ll be starting my new job on Wednesday. I’m worried about sneaking out of my new job during the first week for an interview, especially since it takes me an hour to get back to the media company's location. I have a few questions for anyone who’s been in a similar situation: - Is the CEO interview usually a formality, or is it a genuine assessment? - How bad is it to interview or even resign during the first week of a new job? - Should I inform the dream company about my new job start date to create urgency, or would that reflect poorly on me? - Am I crazy for not being satisfied with the job I just accepted? My mind is racing with all these thoughts. I went from having no offers to juggling multiple opportunities, and I’m just trying to figure out the best way to navigate this.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I have an interview scheduled with a staffing agency soon. I've been advised that my experience is somewhat underrepresented, so I decided to explore this route. I'm curious if anyone has had success working with staffing agencies and how well they followed the agency's guidance. I hope to gain some insights into what to expect and how to make the most of this opportunity.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received a job offer in Alabama, but the pay was significantly lower than what I was expecting. I'm concerned that if I turn it down, I might be disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits. I've been actively searching for jobs that align with my skills and salary expectations, but I'm unsure about the implications of rejecting this offer. Has anyone else faced a similar situation? What should I consider before making my decision?

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently found myself unemployed and filed for unemployment benefits. In a rush to find a new job, I applied to several positions and ended up getting a call for an interview next week. However, after reflecting on it, I realized that I might not be a good fit for the role, and the starting pay is significantly lower than what I was earning before. Now, I'm worried about the implications of turning down the job if it's offered to me. I’m concerned that if I decline the offer, it could jeopardize my unemployment benefits. I’m feeling overwhelmed and anxious about this situation, and I’m seeking advice on whether turning down a job offer like this could affect my unemployment claim.

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I applied to 15 part-time jobs this summer, mainly in roles like barista, waitress, and cashier, but unfortunately, I haven't been hired for any of them. I'm 17, and it seems like most of my friends landed jobs through their connections, while I'm struggling. Many places are looking for candidates with experience or those who are 18 and older. I almost secured a position through a connection, but I couldn't take it because I wasn't available to work on Sundays. I did get hired at a fast food restaurant, but the manager ghosted me after I followed up about my start date. I've included my volunteer and internship experience on my resume, but I'm also limited in where I can apply due to transportation issues. I'm feeling really frustrated and unsure of what I'm doing wrong.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I quit my job tonight after feeling completely drained for the past few weeks. I'm heading back to college soon, and I realized that staying in that position would have only led to worse outcomes for me. My manager even tried to guilt-trip me into staying, which made my decision feel even more justified. However, now that I'm home, I'm feeling a bit depressed. I know I made the right choice, but I can't shake off the feeling of loss from not having a job or income anymore. I guess it's normal to feel this way after leaving a job, especially when you've invested time and energy into it. I'm trying to remind myself that this is just a chapter in my life, and I hope to find my spark again soon.

0 5

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently started my first job at a small catering company owned by an army vet, and I’m feeling really anxious about my performance. I’m only 17, and I’ve been there for about a month. My boss is often around, and while he and my manager seem chill, I can’t shake the feeling that they might not like me. Tonight was particularly tough; my boss had to explain basic tasks to me multiple times, which made me feel overwhelmed and like I was frustrating him. I was supposed to leave at 8 PM, but I ended up closing up and didn’t leave until 10:30 PM. I can’t help but feel like I should be better at this by now, especially since I’m working four days a week and have more hours than my coworkers. I know I’m not the best at physical tasks, especially when it comes to cooking, but I really want to improve. I’ve received some compliments on my closing, but the constant need for guidance makes me worry that I’m just a burden. I genuinely enjoy this job and want to succeed, but I’m scared that my slow learning and mistakes will lead to getting fired. I don’t want my boss or manager to see me as someone who’s always asking questions or messing up. I’m trying to figure out how to deal with this situation and hope to gain their trust and approval.

Job title: catering staff

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

Today, I had a second-round interview for a position I was really excited about. The interviewer offered me the job during the call, which felt like a huge win. However, a few hours later, I received a call from her saying that the owner of the company wanted to discuss salary expectations. She also mentioned that the owner had interviewed another candidate without her knowledge. Now, I'm in this confusing limbo where I was initially offered the job, but now I'm being told to wait and see if it goes to someone else. The interviewer apologized for the situation and expressed hope that I would still get the position, but I can't help but feel uncertain and a bit defeated. I’m a recent graduate, and my resume is straightforward and honest, so I don't think there should be any issues on that front. The interview felt great, and she seemed genuinely excited about bringing me on board. I just don’t know how to process this sudden shift. I was told to wait until the end of next week for an update, but it feels incredibly unfair to have been offered the role and then left hanging like this. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

0 4

Loading comments…

Comments

I've been on the job hunt for about four months now, applying to numerous positions without much luck. Recently, I started discussions with a potential employer who has yet to make a formal offer because I'm asking for more than they initially proposed. They mentioned they are 'crunching the numbers,' which has me a bit worried about their ability to provide consistent hours in the future. The main concern I have is that if I accept this job, the pay would be lower than my current unemployment benefits. I've learned that I might be eligible for partial unemployment benefits if I take a job that pays less than what I'm receiving now. Currently, I'm getting $738 a week from unemployment, while this job would pay around $690 gross a week, potentially even less if hours are limited. I'm trying to figure out how the transition from full unemployment benefits to partial benefits works. Specifically, would I receive the difference between my unemployment and the job's pay? And what steps do I need to take to make this transition smoothly? On the bright side, the position seems to offer a lot of growth opportunities, so I'm hopeful that this could be a stepping stone rather than a setback. I just need to make sure I can manage my finances in the meantime.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

Today I had an interview with Company B for a role that aligns much better with my degrees and long-term goals. I've been working at Company A, which I've always felt embarrassed about since it doesn't utilize my skills. My boss at Company A gave me a strong recommendation, and I was hopeful about the opportunity at Company B. However, the interview was a complete disaster. I didn't like the location, the smell was off-putting, and the interviewer made me feel extremely uncomfortable. It was clear to me that this would not be a good fit. Reflecting on my past experiences, I once took a job that turned out to be a nightmare, and I still carry the emotional weight from that. After today's experience, my gut is telling me to walk away from this opportunity if offered. I left the interview feeling empty and lonely, which was shocking after I had so much hope for Company B. I really thought this could be a turning point for me, but now I'm back to feeling stuck at Company A. Has anyone else gone through something similar? Any advice would be appreciated.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I had an interview today at Steak n Shake for a position, and they informed me that I have two more rounds of interviews scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday. However, I just realized that I have a road trip planned starting this Sunday, and I forgot to mention it during the interview. I'm unsure about how to handle this situation now.

Company: Steak n Shake

Job title: N/A

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I just wrapped up my second interview for a position and I'm heading into the final round. I've connected really well with both the recruiter and the hiring manager, which gives me hope. However, I made a mistake during the salary expectation discussion. The job listing had a salary range of 60k to 120k, and I panicked when the recruiter asked about my expectations. I mentioned that I currently make around 70k and said I'd like a bit more, around 72k. Now, I'm regretting that decision. I’ve realized that if they offered me 72k, I wouldn’t accept it because I’d be giving up my current benefits and work-from-home flexibility for a small increase. Honestly, to make the switch, I’d want something closer to 90k, which is in the middle of their range but significantly higher than what I initially stated. I’m not desperate for this job since I’m comfortable in my current role, but I’m worried if I should reach out to the recruiter to adjust my salary expectations or just wait until I receive an offer. I don't want to raise any red flags, but I also don’t want to end up with an offer that doesn’t meet my needs. Should I take the risk of losing the opportunity or try to negotiate now?

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently decided to leave my job after two exhausting years working under the CFO, where I was consistently putting in 65-70 hour weeks. The toxic environment has taken a toll on my health, and at this point, I feel I can’t continue. Fortunately, I have a six-month severance package, but I’m unsure about the best way to exit without being terminated for cause. I’m in my late 50s, and while I’m considering applying for new jobs, I’m also contemplating whether I truly need to work at this stage in my life. I’m looking for advice on how to navigate this situation.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments

I interviewed for a position at a bank two weeks ago, where they were planning to hire multiple people for the role. My interview lasted over an hour, and I felt it went really well. They mentioned they would call me back, which I took as a good sign for a potential offer. However, my coworker interviewed the day after me and received an offer before I did. Now, it's been a week since they got their offer, and I'm starting to feel uncertain about my chances. The bank's website still shows that the decision is pending, but I can't help but worry that I might not get an offer.

Company: bank

Job title: N/A

Mixed signals No update yet
0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently landed a part-time adjunct faculty position at a local community college, which I was excited about. During the interview, I learned that the role opened up due to an increase in student enrollment, leading to a need for more instructors for basic-level courses. They fast-tracked my application, and I was all set to start on August 24, the first day of class. However, just a few days before that, on August 21, I received some disappointing news. I was informed that due to low enrollment, they had to adjust the class schedules, and unfortunately, there were no sections available for me to teach. They mentioned that I would still be considered part of the adjunct faculty for future teaching opportunities, but I am left in a confusing situation. I feel stuck, as I have no classes to teach and no income coming in for the next 16 weeks. I've started applying to other universities and colleges, but I’m unsure what to do about my current situation. Is there any way I can claim anything from them since they hired me with the expectation of providing work? This whole experience feels incredibly unorthodox, and I’m not even sure what my employment status is at this point.

Job title: part-time adjunct faculty

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I've been working in sales for the past five years, primarily in debt settlement sales where I usually earn around $120k a year. However, I've been feeling the burnout that comes with it, especially as the momentum tends to slow down after a year. Currently, I have three job offers on the table and I'm trying to decide which one to take. 1. The first is a home care marketer position that pays $26 an hour plus commission. It's an in-office role with a 10-minute commute, paid lunch hours, and benefits after 90 days. There's also potential for a pay bump to $28 an hour after the probation period. 2. The second option is to stay in debt settlement as a sales rep for a remote position with the fourth largest company in the industry. It offers $15 an hour plus commission, weekends off, and my preferred schedule, along with what is said to be the best commission structure in the industry. 3. The third offer is for a financial services call center rep, which pays $25 an hour plus bonuses. It's with a well-known company that would look great on my resume, but I'd need to pass three FINRA licenses to keep the job. The downside is that it has a one-hour commute and I worry about the risk of being let go if I can't meet their expectations. I have a tendency to avoid startup companies, but the pay for the home care marketer role is tempting. Although I signed the offer for the financial services job, I'm starting to rethink my decision. I’m always a top rep wherever I go, but the fear of failure is creeping in.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments