Activity type

Got a Job

Showing the latest activities tagged under this category.

Today, I received a job offer from Shake Shack for $15 an hour. Finding employment has been quite challenging for me, especially since I have a felony on my record. I've been searching for about three months now. I previously worked in insurance sales but didn't meet my weekly goals and was let go. Before my felony, I had a better job, but I’ve never worked in fast food before. I accepted the Shake Shack offer, but I’m also considering an inbound call center sales position at Hilton Grand Vacations, as they want to schedule an interview with me. I feel like there could be more earning potential and opportunities with Hilton, but I'm unsure about what to do next. I’ve read that Shake Shack might offer more stability, but I’m worried about the commission-based nature of the sales job at Hilton. I just received the interview text from Hilton right after I got home from the Shake Shack meeting, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to weigh my options.

Company: Shake Shack

Job title: N/A

Hired
0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently started my first job at a small boutique bath and body shop in the mall, but things have taken a confusing turn. I was hired and thrown into my first shift just a few days later, with hardly any preparation. My onboarding took up most of my first day, which left me with only about three hours of actual work. I was told I would hear back about my schedule within a week or two since they were opening a new shop, but it’s now been over three weeks since my first day on June 14th, and I haven’t heard anything. To make matters worse, I checked the Square app and noticed that the manager who hired me is no longer there, and there’s a new manager in charge. Now, I see that payroll is pending for four hours of work for days I wasn’t even scheduled to be there. I was already paid for the three and a half hours I worked, so I’m really confused about what’s going on. I’m worried that I might have done something wrong or that I should have reached out sooner. This is my first job, and I really don’t want to mess it up. I even considered volunteering to cover a shift for someone who had a personal loss, but it was on a day I couldn’t make it, and someone else ended up covering it anyway. Being in Colorado, an at-will state, makes me even more anxious about these scheduling issues. I have my paystubs, so I know everything is official, but the lack of communication is really stressing me out.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received a job offer that I was really excited about. I reached out to two former managers and three co-workers to serve as references, and all five of them agreed and filled out a reference survey, which came back positive. I was cleared for onboarding and was just about to start orientation. However, one day after signing all the necessary documents, I got a shocking call from HR. They informed me that one of my references had sent a separate narrative email that was forwarded to the department head. As a result, my job offer was rescinded based on the contents of that email. I feel completely betrayed and confused about why someone I trusted would do this to me.

0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I was really excited to start my new job at a local pizza store, feeling like it was a great opportunity for me. I received a text from the manager saying I was scheduled for training the next day from 5 to 10 pm. However, just a few hours later, I got another message saying they had decided not to hire me because an old staff member had returned, leaving them without any openings. I can't help but wonder if my struggle with spreading pizza dough played a role in this decision. I feel pretty useless and sad about the whole situation, questioning whether it was really about the returning employee or my performance. It's a tough pill to swallow, but I know I need to move on and look for other opportunities.

0 5

Loading comments…

Comments

I was laid off in late April from my role as a senior manager in the software domain in Silicon Valley. I remained on the company payroll until late June, receiving a decent severance package that lasted four months after my last day. Initially, I faced a lot of stress as I didn't receive any interview calls until early June. However, once the calls started coming in, they cascaded in the first week of June. I utilized Claude extensively to tailor my resumes and prepare for interviews, which really helped. By the first week of July, I received three job offers. I decided to accept a position at a somewhat smaller company compared to my previous one, but it was at the director level with a 15% increase in compensation. It seems like the job market may be improving overall, and I’m feeling optimistic about this new opportunity.

Job title: Director

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently wrapped up my job search after being unexpectedly laid off from my role as a software engineer due to the acquisition of my project. Over the past two months, I submitted 60 applications, went through 8 interviews, and ultimately received 2 job offers. Initially, I was quite anxious about the process, especially seeing many others apply to hundreds of positions and struggle to get responses. However, I took a more targeted approach. With 12 years of experience, I focused on applying only to roles that closely matched my skills and background. I used tools like ChatGPT to help me analyze job descriptions, ensuring that the core skills, job titles, required experience, and responsibilities aligned with my qualifications. I was quite strict in my filtering process, prioritizing roles where I felt I could be a strong candidate. This strategy paid off, leading to two offers that I’m now considering.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I just accepted a job offer and I'm set to start next week. However, I'm still in probation and orientation at my current job, and I suspect they would let me go if I gave notice. Now, I've received an invitation for a second interview at a company that I believe I might prefer. I'm torn about whether I should mention that I'm starting a different job or just act like I'm still at my current position during the interview. Some advice I read suggested that I should just pretend I'm still employed at my old job, as they don't need to know about the new one until I actually get an offer.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently accepted an internal transfer at my current company, which I was really excited about. I informed my boss right away, as per HR's request, so that my current and new managers could discuss my start date. I proposed August 3rd, which my new manager was on board with, but my current manager pushed back and set my start date for August 24th instead. This means I have to wait 6 and a half weeks, which is frustrating because it delays my pay increase and keeps me in my current role with unconventional hours that have negatively impacted my mental health. I was also hoping to have some time off to visit my newborn niece who is arriving soon. I'm feeling stressed about this situation and wondering if I have any options to negotiate an earlier start date, especially since I suspect my manager is delaying it to cover for a coworker going on vacation.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I got the job at Chick-fil-A today as a back-of-house team member! I applied and was surprised when the manager hired me on the spot. I thought my interview skills were just okay, but I'm really happy after months of job searching. I can finally delete Indeed and hopefully it will stay uninstalled for a while! For context, I'm 19 and this is my second job ever.

Company: Chick-fil-A

Job title: back-of-house team member

Hired Clear communication
0 8

Loading comments…

Comments

I have been working at an oil company for 9 years, starting right after college. Over the years, I've received gradual pay raises and steady promotions. Recently, I landed a Senior Manager role in a new team, which I accepted about three weeks ago. This internal promotion came with a 15% pay raise, bringing my salary to $136,500, and a 5% increase in my target bonus to 20%. Additionally, I will get an extra vacation week next year, totaling 4 weeks of vacation and 10 sick days, along with a pension plan and a 7% 401k match. The role is hybrid, and I finally secured a start date of August 7 after some back and forth with my manager. However, today I received a call about an external Senior Manager position at a medtech company. This role is quite different from what I'm used to, and while I have been honest about my experience, I'm unsure how much I would enjoy it. It involves managing two global direct reports, but the commute is significantly longer—1 hour and 20 minutes each way—and requires being in the office three times a week. The external offer is for a salary of $160,000 with a 15% bonus and $10,000 in stocks. They also offer 4 weeks of PTO, a 4% match that vests immediately, and an additional 3% employer contribution that vests in three years. Their posted salary range was between $144,000 and $198,000. I feel a bit undervalued at my current company, especially since external hires are coming in at $160,000 to $170,000. While the 15% raise is generous, I’m concerned about the longevity of the new team I’m joining. I'm contemplating how to approach this situation. I want to negotiate for my vacation and sick days to be matched and possibly secure additional compensation. Ideally, I would prefer to stay where I am, but I doubt my current company would match the external offer.

Job title: Senior Manager

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received a job offer from Kyndryl for a position that aligns well with my skills and career goals. I'm excited about the opportunity to work with such a reputable company in the tech industry. The role focuses on cloud services, which is a field I'm passionate about. I look forward to starting this new chapter in my career and contributing to the team's success.

Company: Kyndryl

Job title: N/A

Hired
0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I was informed that my last day at the company would be August 15th following a financial review. This news hit hard, but I quickly shifted my focus to job hunting and have already applied to several positions. To my surprise, I landed three interviews for next week! I'm feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety, wondering if this is a good sign or if I might not receive any offers from these interviews. I work in Cloud Computing with a focus on Azure, and I'm eager to see where this journey takes me.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently received an apprenticeship offer after a demanding application process that included a 2000-word statement, a 4-hour interview with a maths test, a presentation, and a drawing test. I was thrilled when I got the news that the position was mine! However, I was later informed that the offer is conditional based on various checks, including verification of qualifications. I had stated that I achieved a C in maths, but the truth is I received a D. Now I'm anxious about whether they will check this information and potentially retract the offer. I’m torn between two options: I could remain silent and hope they don’t find out, or I could come clean about the discrepancy in my application. My boyfriend and family advise against admitting my mistake, but the stress of this situation is overwhelming. I really want to take control of this situation, but I'm unsure what the best course of action is. Should I risk it and say nothing, or be upfront and face the consequences? Any advice would be appreciated.

Job title: apprenticeship

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I started my job as an animal tech working with rodents today, and I was initially confident since I had some experience handling mice before. The role mainly involved cleaning cages and monitoring the mice for any health issues. However, things took a turn when I was transferring a mouse from one cage to another. The mouse clung to the top of the cage and wouldn't let go, which caused me to panic. I managed to get it into the clean cage but this happened three more times, and I found myself alone in a room full of mice, which heightened my anxiety. After lunch, I returned to the task feeling hopeful, but when I encountered two mice in a cage, I successfully transferred one but panicked when the second one got stuck. I had a panic attack and ran out of the room looking for help, but no one was around. The thought of the mouse escaping made it even scarier. I eventually managed to move the mouse, but the experience was overwhelming. I realized that while I can handle mice under supervision, I can't do it alone. I spoke with my supervisor after my panic attack, and they were understanding when I told them I couldn't continue in this role long-term. I feel a bit pathetic for not being able to handle it and for quitting so quickly, especially since this job was arranged through my university, and I'm worried my head of department might find out I didn't last even a day.

Job title: animal tech

0 3

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently signed an offer letter for a new job that starts at the end of this month. The background check through HireRight has been completed and approved by my new employer. I'm now waiting for my company ID and email address from them, but I haven't received those yet. I want to give my current employer three weeks' notice because I feel it's important to help transition my workload and files, especially since my colleagues have been great to work with and are a big reason I’ve stayed this long. I’m feeling a bit anxious about whether it's safe to give my notice now. The new job is with a well-established company that has been around for over 100 years, and I have no reason to believe that my offer would be rescinded. However, I still worry about the possibility of something going wrong before my start date. I've read a lot of advice suggesting that once the background check is cleared and the offer is signed, it's generally safe to proceed. Some comments even suggest that I should wait until after my first day to feel completely secure. But I really want to leave my current job on good terms and provide adequate time for my team to adjust. Should I just go ahead and give my notice now, or is it better to wait a bit longer?

0 4

Loading comments…

Comments

I received a verbal offer for a position about four business days ago, but I haven't received any written confirmation yet. During the call, which was a bit difficult due to a thunderstorm, they mentioned a start date that is a little over two weeks from now. I'm unsure if I should follow up with an email to check on the status of the offer. I want to make sure I'm being proactive without seeming pushy. I've been advised to check my spam folder first, and if nothing is there, to send a polite follow-up email expressing my excitement about the opportunity.

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently had a breakthrough in my job search journey. For a long time, I was stuck in a cycle of self-doubt, telling myself I needed more experience or to complete an online course before I could apply for better positions. I watched peers with similar or even less experience land jobs that I thought were out of my reach, and it left me feeling frustrated. A few months ago, I decided to change my approach. I started applying for jobs where I met only 60 to 70 percent of the requirements, thinking the worst that could happen was a rejection. To my surprise, I received more callbacks than I ever did when I only applied for roles I felt fully qualified for. It became clear that many job requirements are more of a wish list than a strict guideline. Eventually, I landed a new role that pays significantly more than my previous job and offers great opportunities for growth. This experience taught me how much I was holding myself back by waiting for a perfect moment that would never arrive. If you're hesitating to apply because you don't feel ready, I encourage you to go for it. The self-screening we often do is much harsher than what hiring managers actually consider. Has anyone else gone through a similar experience? I'd love to hear your stories!

0 1

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently signed an offer letter for my dream job, which is an exciting milestone for me. However, I've hit a snag with the reference check process. The company is using Skill Survey and requires five references, two of which need to be from my previous managers or supervisors. Unfortunately, I've only had two jobs so far. My first job ended poorly due to a toxic environment, and I was just laid off from my second job, which has left me feeling quite frustrated. I can provide three references from colleagues, but I can't reach out to my former managers for a reference. I'm worried about how this will affect my hiring process. What happens if they don’t respond to the survey emails? Will that halt my progress? This reference situation is really stressing me out, especially since I've been working remotely and found it challenging to build strong relationships. I'm relieved I at least have a couple of contacts to provide.

0 0

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently got accepted for a job position in the cloud tech industry after being unemployed for over a year since graduation, and I was initially thrilled about it. The role is close to home and aligns with my career goals, which made it even more exciting. However, I made the mistake of checking the company’s reviews on Glassdoor, and now I'm feeling apprehensive. The company has a rating of around 3, which is decent, but many reviews mention issues like poor work-life balance, nepotism, and bad management. Some even suggest avoiding the company altogether, claiming that the positive reviews are fake. This has left me worried about accepting the position out of desperation, fearing that I might end up overwhelmed and stuck in a bad situation with no way out. I’m curious if these kinds of reviews are typical for small companies and how much weight I should give them in my decision-making process. Has anyone else had a similar experience stepping into a less-than-ideal work environment right after college? I’m just trying to figure out if I should trust my instincts or if I should take the job and keep looking for something better while employed.

0 5

Loading comments…

Comments

I recently went through a tough 4-round interview process over 3 months for an 18-month rotational program at a company. After the final interview, where they were interviewing 4 candidates for just 2 spots, I received a call from the hiring manager a week later. Unfortunately, I wasn't selected for the program, but he mentioned that they were impressed with my performance and wanted to know if I would be interested in a different role that they believed suited my skills better. This new position is a regular job, not limited to 16 months, and offers similar or even better pay. I gladly accepted the opportunity, and the manager assured me that I wouldn't need to go through all the interviews again—just a final meeting with the department supervisor. The role isn't posted publicly, which adds a layer of uncertainty. I'm curious if this kind of situation is common and if it indicates I'm likely to secure this new position. I don’t want to get my hopes up too high after being rejected from the program.

0 2

Loading comments…

Comments